New year, new you, right? Well, maybe not an entirely new you, but there’s no doubt that the start of a new year is the perfect time for a refresh. And what better place to start than with your résumé? Whether you’re in the job market or simply preparing in case an opportunity presents itself, sprucing up your résumé is a great way to start off 2023. Not sure where to begin? Here are a few tips:
1. Start with a clean slate. Remove any old or outdated information—including old jobs, skills that are no longer relevant, or anything else that doesn’t reflect your current situation. This is also a good time to get rid of any typos or grammatical errors. Remember, your résumé is a reflection of you and your professional brand, so you want it to be accurate and error-free.
2. Update your contact information. Make sure that your email address, phone number, and location are all current and up-to-date. If you have moved recently or changed phone numbers, now is the time to update your résumé accordingly.
3. Add any new experience or accomplishments. Whether you’ve taken on additional responsibilities at work or completed some sort of professional development, be sure to add any new information that would be relevant to potential employers.
4. Choose an updated format and design. If it’s been a while since you last updated your résumé, chances are the format and design are outdated as well. Take some time to research different résumé styles that are ATS-friendly and find one that best reflects your personal brand and professional level.
5. Proofread, proofread, proofread! Once you’ve made all the necessary changes and updates, it’s important to proofread your résumé one final time before sending it off into the world. A single typo could be enough to make a potential employer second-guess your candidacy, so take the extra time to ensure that everything looks perfect before hitting “send.”
A well-written and up-to-date résumé is essential for anyone who wants to be taken seriously as a professional—whether you’re actively job searching or not. By taking some time now to refresh yours for the new year, you’ll be in a much better position should an opportunity come knocking at your door unexpectedly.
Best of luck!